Re: a strange issue with my C drive

Thanks for the suggestion of listening to the hard drive. I didn't hear any unusual noises though, but one of the fans does occasionally make a sort of quiet rattling noise. It's been doing that for months. Other than that, I can barely hear the hard drive doing anything.
As you may remember, I ran the Windows error checking tool earlier yesterday, and from my understanding, that tool is just a frontend for the command line chkdsk. Anyway, I checked the fix file system errors box, but I unchecked the attempt recovery of bad sectors box. And this didn't seem to do anything. Well, after that I went to a concert, and I was totally exhausted when I got home, so I decided to run the Windows error checking tool again, with both boxes checked. Then I went to bed. When I woke up, the PC had been restarted normally and I was able to use it, which surprised me a bit because I've ran it on externals and it's taken over 30 hours in some cases. Immediately the lag s and everything else I'd been starting to resign myself to were gone! I haven't had a single hiccup yet. So I assume that some sectors were bad. I don't know how to look at logs to find out what was fixed, or confirm my suspicion that there were indeed bad sectors.
I guess that's indicative of hard drive failure but it could also just be an unlucky coincidence that happens as a hard drive ages? I'm not sure... In any case, I don't think the fact that I suspect bad sectors on this drive is ever a good thing.