Re: Help with choosing between Python VS. PureBasic

@Orin, by far Python is definitely your best option here as far as I am concerned. As you noticed unlike BGT Python is very light on syntax and does not require all the braces, brackets, and semi-colons of more C-style languages like BGT. It is more simple to learn and use provided you get your spacing and indentation right.

Another reason I have become a fan of Python over the last few years is it is truly a0 cost solution. The majority of tools and documentation for Python is absolutely free of charge where with Purebasic you have to pay for it with little to no benefit in doing so. Even with C++, a language I use a lot in my professional development, usually comes with some financial costs attached somewhere down the line where Python is usually a cost free solution all around.

Another issue to be concerned with is cross-platform development. I'm not sure but it seems to me you are a Mac user. If so Python is far more suited to developing games and apps for Mac OS X than is BGT or Purebasic. Even if not it is something to consider given that today the VI gaming community is spread out over Windows, Mac, and Linux and using Python makes it much more likely to target non-Windows users with minor updates and changes in code.

As for Pygame it is so/so. It is certainly not on par with DirectX, but if you aren't developing a game requiring 3d audio etc you can make do with Pygame. It will give you basic keyboard, joystick, and mouse input, has some basic networking capabilities, and the 2d audio panning works if you know what you are doing. Since Pygame's panning is very simple and rather basic you'll have to use a bit of math to have the roll-off sound smooth and natural, but it can be done.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : dhruv via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : dhruv via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : dhruv via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : dhruv via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : dhruv via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Genroa via Audiogames-reflector