Re: I'm blind and want to develop a very complex game

Yes, I'm bringing this thread back. I made it, so I'm allowed to. smile

The reason I am bumping this thread back to the top of the forum is simple. I have an announcement to make.

I will admit I haven't gone very far into the Python tutorial recommended to me. Short answer, I got bored. So I started building maps in Tactical Battle that were based on my idea. I haven't gotten too far with them yet either, but I was actually doing something with my world. I was actually interacting with something tangible. That's what inspires me. I can sit here and imagine my eventual goal all I like, but imagining it endlessly does not motivate me to slog through basic programming. It just makes the goal seem farther away.

I was very apprehensive about going into details about the game on the Tactical Battle mailing list after the reception I got here, b ut I eventually did, and one of the guys on there linked me to this YouTube video, which basically validated my original point in this thread. It's really hard to learn something you're not excited about. I, personally, want to learn to build adventure RPGs similar to the third game in the BGT tutorials. And I, personally, need something tangible to test-run on a regular basis. If there are bugs, I'll learn how to fix them. If it takes me years, so be it. That's not the issue any more. As long as I have something to play that makes my eventual goal that bit more real to me, then I'll be inspired to keep going.

I'm almost sure that, unless anything else comes up, I'm going to start working with BGT again. I like BGT. I liked it when I first got it and I still like it now. I don't need graphics yet. I won't need them until the game's finished. Before t hen, I won't know exactly what graphics I'll need for the entire game, will I? Maybe I will leave it behind, but at least I'll be building something I enjoy and picking up on skills that will help me in the future while I'm doing it.

That's not to say the Python book hasn't helped me a bit. I need to get into the habit of hand-coding, and that's definitely something I'll be doing. I've been doing it with the TB maps as well. True, the process there is crazy simple, but it still helps.

I'll probably start asking questions over on the BGT forum again soonish. Either that, or I'll build in TB for a bit before getting stuck into proper game things again. My point is that I'm going to learn how to build the game I want to build, and have fun. That's the best motivator in my opinion.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Genroa via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Genroa via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : dhruv via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Genroa via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hektor via Audiogames-reflector