Any advice on cane problems?

Hello.
My canes only seem to last about four months before the joints get so jammed up that they become impossible to fold. I'm assuming it's in part because of the sand, salt and other hardships associated with winter?
Is there some trick to maintaining them so that they last longer, or is everybody replacing their canes every few months?
Thanks.