Windows 10 for free?

When I heard that the start menu was returning in Windows 10, I started wondering if I should hold off on installing Windows 7 to my new SSD and wait for Windows 10. The question was and is; are there any features in Windows 10 that aren't in Windows 7 that would make it worth buying?

To that end I googled "Windows 10 vs Windows 7" and found this page:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/ … -windows-7

On this page I found:

Even at this early stage we’ve established that Windows 10 is a good deal better than Windows 8 for most desktop PC users. But what if you’re still using Windows 7? Microsoft may be offering a free upgrade to Windows 10, but should you take it or should you stick with what you know?

right now we don’t know how much a standalone copy of Windows 10 will cost, but the big news is that it will be free to upgrade from either Windows 7 or 8 for the first year of Windows 10’s life.

Is this real?

In the past you could install an upgrade edition of Windows to a clean  system, if you had the CD or DBD from prior version of Windows that qualifies as upgradeable. I wonder if the installers still do that. If so, this might be worth looking in to. Otherwise, I'll just buy a full version that can be installed to a clean drive.