Re: accessible games for older consoles

Depends: how willing are you to cheat? Prior to saving data becoming commonplace, a lot of games included a level select code. Some include other cheats like invincibility or moving the character so as to bypass inaccessible parts.

I'll also assume you aren't looking for fighting games, since those are kinda obvious.
The next most accessible genre would be side-scrolling 2.5D beatemup games, like Streets of Rage, Final Fight, Golden Axe, etc. Some of these are more easy to play blind than others. Streets of Rage 2, for example, doesn't include any pits or other silent traps, where Golden Axe and the other two SoR games do.

(If you're feeling like putting in a lot of effort, the vOICe is slightly more useful with 2D games if you disable decorative background graphics, which some emulators can do. Good luck figuring out how, though; all I remember for sure is that Megasis can do this for genesis, and I think Zsnes can for SNES, but there are mult iple graphics layers and you have to know which one you need and which you do not.)

I've completed Sonic 3 and Knuckles (by cheating like there's no tomorrow, although the final battle might actually be playable without cheating if you're particularly coordinated), Streets of Rage 2, Mighty Morphing Power Rangers: the Movie, and nearly beat Golden Axe only to die in a pit in the final battle. I can imagine getting surprisingly far in Mario 3 just by a combination of Save States and knowing where the first two whistles are, but I've never beaten it (I only ever got a couple levels into the final map).

(Some sort of tile-sized cursor for emulators, vaguely BK3-style, would be neat. Not as useful as screen tracking with audio labels, but it'd be easier to add, and someone might actually be able to use it. Ah! I have an idea! An NVDA Addon that detects when a screenshot is on the clipboard and lets you view it with, like, nvda+shift+arrows or somethi ng. I'm going to go play with that idea, now.)