Re: Announcing release of Interceptor by Valiant Galaxy Associates

Jeremy Here:

Dark,

Special conditions were something that were originally included into the game design, but were abandoned due to difficulty of development.  Although Interceptor is our third game released, it was actually our first game in design and development.  A number of things we wanted to do initially we did not have the expertise to manage.  Since Interceptor, we've worked on three other games (one of which is temporarily shelved for those of you counting and trying to figure out where the third game is) but each one has taught us more about how to overcome some of these difficulties.  The mission levels that we originally tried to integrate into Interceptor were going to introduce a lot of complicating conditions such as environmental concerns.  That said, we haven't abandoned that notion.  We are contemplating, further down the road, either an expansion, or a whole new game that uses the Interceptor's combat mech anics, and possibly TKS' map mode.  If we do this, several of the ideas that were abandoned in previous iterations of the game will also find the light of day again.  We never throw anything away: you never know when a blind alley will end up being a great idea later.

I'm not sure what your hot key issue is, unless it is indeed what Pitermach suggested.

Pitermach, thanks for the critique of the speech buffer issues and the suggestion for later levels.  When we first designed the game this was the best speech buffer system we could come up with.  We're working on improving it, and if that happens, Interceptor could see an update similar to those we've done for Yellowbonnet and Traders of Known Space.  Again, you hit the issue of we're still learning the best way to cope with a problem.

Dark,

As to the demo mode: I see your argument, and we'll continue discussing it; it's possible our position o n this might change.  There was a lot of debate between ourselves and our beta testers on this issue as well, and so it was never as set in stone a decision as it might appear.  However, the game's only been out three days, well four now, and we want to see if there are more issues.  If we change things, we'd like to change enough things at once to make it worth it.  Any day we're updating code is a day we're not working on a new project.

Thank you all for the suggestions and critiques,

Jeremy

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : vga via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : audiogames . net fan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : audiogames . net fan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : audiogames . net fan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : vga via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : vga via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : vga via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : vga via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : vga via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : dan_c via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : dan_c via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : luiscarlosgm via Audiogames-reflector