Re: Q9 Has a New Home

@keyIsFull nailed it right on the head, which is why I have no problem mentioning the differences between JAWS and other screen reader users and their various levels of proficiency.  Hell, I would wager that most of us started off on JAWS, and as was pointed out in post 114 by Jade, the real problem back then was that there wasn't as much to choose from, and when choices did make themselves available they weren't realistically ready to compete with the granddaddy of screen readers that had, more or less singlehandedly raked in most of the blind community and its service providers and other such agencies.
But those days are over, and even FS is starting to see that.  The moves they are currently making which give users the ability to buy 3 month licenses to use their product suggest to me that, while they still want to make money, they are going to look for more feasible methods by which to do it.  The screen reader is only as good as the consumers mak e it, after all, not the other way around.  You can have a ton of development team and a ton of ideas inside that development team, but if that team only develops for itself, there is little chance of it attracting other minds and greater consumption.  Less consumption, less money.  Less money, less business.  Less business, and it's time to close shop because we don't have the money or the business to pay bills anymore.
And people have indeed been leaving Fs's side, loyal, die hard customers and fanatics of the software that once brought them so much in the way of accessibility.  The definition of what a screen reader is though, is finally becoming clear to people.  A screen reader is not an operating system on top of your operating system.  If that works for you, more power to you, but it's not for everyone, just as a screen reader isn't, either.  For gamers, this is of the greatest importance, because games don 't just show up on your front doorstep, nor should they.  I didn't find out about q9 by sitting around for Leasey to be developed.  I found out about q9 by searching for accessible games on google and turning up about a dozen sites, including this one.  It wasn't part of a package; it didn't come with added tools and shortcuts.  It wasn't a pizza hut demo sampler CD for the playstation that bundled a ton of other games into it for promotion's sake, a short lived practice, as it were.  It was a game, a game I played on windows, a game I loved even in its simplicity and which I eventually shelved, but which I also recommended to other people, and would have continued to recommend had it not been for this.  FS is not to fault for what happened though, and to add just a little more solidity to that statement, I'll even go so far as to say that neither are JAWS users.