Re: Triple Triad - A tile collecting puzzle game, by Aprone

Thanks Dark.  smile  I guess you're right about it not being a "small" game, but it's back to what I'm used to calling a small game.  Anything I can put together in a weekend falls into that category for me, even if I can spend more time on it later to polish it up.

Thanks for the complement about uniqueness.  I often get suggestions from people, wanting me to make things that are basically the same as what we already have around here, and wondering why I hadn't thought of it already.  Those guys don't understand that I'm ignoring those "obvious" game ideas on purpose.  In almost all of my games, I start out with some concept or game mechanic that I think needs introducing/expanding, and a game is designed around it.

There are a few exceptions, but they are obvious exceptions.  That puzzle divi ded game was just something tiny that had no real deeper plan to it, and pet rock and dark ruse were both just jokes.  haha.  This one is another exception because I was just remaking someone elses original design, though I did see how making it would fit into a larger plan I'm working on.

It's better suited for the Paw Prints thread, but that game had one huge element that I centered the game around.  Game developers are always looking for ways to bottle emotions into their project.  With the proper plan, you hope that you can make your players feel actual fear before turning a corner, true excitement when they win, and perhaps sadness with story elements.  It's not always easy (I've never played a Yahtzee game that made me afraid), but I do think it's on the mind of all game developers as they work on their projects.

Before Paw Prints, I'd often thought about adding faith to that list of feelings.  Can a game be designed in such a way, that you can invoke a true feeling of faith?  I formed my own opinions about what might help that work... an extremely harsh environment, drama, a lack of concrete numbers (wolf bites you for 22 damage points), a system that is shrouded in mystery (randomness around ever corner), and finally a set of religious rules that can be interpreted in a variety of different ways.

Who knows, it might not work at all, but it was worth a shot.  There aren't enough players yet to see it take shape, but eventually I guessed that people would begin falling into camps, convinced that they had figured out which is the correct religion in the game.  Without any concrete proof of who is actually right, their experiences in the game are all they can go on.  Some will be correct and some will be wrong, and knowing that there actually IS a correct answer should help the whole thing move along faster than it otherwise would.

ROFL, I can tell how this sounds a bit over the top.  Trying to plan out stuff like this might just be the madness contracted by game developers.  Someone can prepare my rubber room and straight jacket for me.  big_smile

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : firence via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : yujin9091 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : yujin9091 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stefan_ilioaica via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : smoothgunner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Stevie-3 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Kyleman123 via Audiogames-reflector