Re: Gaming Computer for Audio Games

Short version: don't worry about it. Get a box that runs your operating system well, and play away.

long version:
Agreed with everything said here. I'll break down components:
video: forget graphics. completely. The only situation I've ever had graphics issues was when I tried to run teraformers in 3d mode on a windows 98 box with a 4mb graphics chip.

my processor examples:
p2(350mhz) works well for some stuff, not so well for others. You'll notice games running a bit slower than they otherwise might, but they'll still do it. If you only play on this and don't come from a faster box, you probably won't notice much of a difference.
p4 at 2.8ghz (10 years old ish): runs pretty much everything like a pro. Its not 100% - and there are things that can potentially slow down if the game is doing massive amounts of number crunching, but you'll have to work to find them.
Intel core i5 480m/Intel Pentium e5300 (5 y ears old on average): You games think you've got a chance? Nice try.

Ram: This is the one component I'd take seriously. very min 2gb for win7, 1gb for xp. Twice or more than that highly recommended. Most games are polite to ram, most of the time. Don't bet on it, and don't short change yourself and your machine.

storage: 25gb of available space for installations is more than enough for almost anything. If you fill that, and actively play all the games you've got, you're pretty game crazy. 100gb of space will probably last you years of both installed games and the setup/zip files.
As a comparison, the game archive project I mentioned briefly in another thread is currently about 25 gb, and I'm being obsessive about collecting past versions of everything I can get download links for.
Ssd or hdd: If you're getting an ssd, do it for the computer, not for the games. I've tried running a number of games from a ram disk (whi ch is faster than an ssd) and noticed zero difference as opposed to my spinning drive. You've pretty much got to move all the way to USB2.0 in order to notice anything, and even then its only in certain circumstances.