Re: ideal way of creating a map parcer?

Okay wait wait wait.
I don't have to tokenize anything.  I just have to yaml.load(file("mymap.yml")), replace yaml with json, pickle, or any of several other formats of your preference and reuse the same line.  I see no way in which this is nearly as complex as you are making it out to be.  It is only as complex as you are making it out to be in a language where someone hasn't written at least 5 perfectly good parser options that go straight from a specific text format to objects in memory, usually in one function call.  But hey, your loss.  This community has decided to become entrenched on languages where the question being asked on this thread actually needs asking and where the answer isn't one line.
AN online game.  That's online.  That doesn't validate anything.  You realize that I could go through that like tissue paper if I wanted?  What you are essentially saying is: the drawbacks of Purebasic and the fact that I have to write my own code for secure networking mean that I don't have secure networking and anyone who wants to put in 15 minutes or so of effort can probably take me down.  You're also saying that you're probably giving clients privileged information, which means that I can probably just stick any of several network interception tools in there and see all sorts of interesting little tidbits that I shouldn't, and I can probably do stuff I shouldn't, too.  These are yet more problems that other languages solve for us if you just opt into one of the good networking libraries.  In this case, what you're actually doing is giving me more points I can make supporting my viewpoint, not supporting yours.
I'm not speaking for Python.  I am speaking very specifically against Purebasic and BGT.  But apparently people aren't going to actually spend significant effort to try no matter what the l anguage is, and this makes me very sad.  I think this entire community would be in such amazing places if Philip had used one of the mainstream languages and mainstream systems and just  used some libraries and wrote a book, as opposed to using an obscure scripting language with almost no official documentation and developing most stuff from scratch.  But if he had, it wouldn't have been commercial for years...wait, that's not actually a bad thing, either.
I'm going to put it this way and then give up when most of you still fail to get it, because this is what it comes down to.  In pick-the-mainstream-language, you can log onto an IRC channel with more people online at all times than exist on this forum, and you can get turnaround on questions in minutes.  You can go to mailing lists and stack overflow and get turnaround on questions in hours, with answers that are usually entire essays.  You can go to google, and the question you� 39;re asking is usually already answered.  But hey, why do all that?  You can buy Purebasic or choose BGT and intentionally wall yourself away in a little prison cell of loneliness, where the only programmers you can really talk to are on the same level you are and no one writes books because they'd sell to at most 200 people for all time.  There are programmers out there answering questions all the time who make every single person on this forum look like nothing in comparison.  Every language I can think of that is honestly popular has at least 30 books, teaching you how to do everything you could ever want to program, from games to blog engines to machine learning and AI.  But that's fine, the little walled prison of Purebasic/BGT is comfortable and safe and all the corners are rounded so you can't possibly hurt yourself, too bad all you have is the horse as opposed to the nuclear power plant.  I'll take the nuclear power plant ov er the horse, any day.
And for the record, I know Python and C++ incredibly well.  I know Haskell far enough that I wish we had the monad in other languages.  I have worked in MC68000 assembly and on a Texas instruments microcontroller.  I have worked with the component object model and the windows APIs for Unicode and Ascii conversion directly.  I have learned enough about rust's borrow checker that I'm seriously considering it for a possible future project.  Libaudioverse is working and released, 15000 lines of C++ that are entirely written by me, covering everything from calculus to binary formats to low-latency audio to my own threadsafe containers (why that last one is a long, long story, and it makes me very very sad).  I have written my own small but functional e-mail service.  I read the manuals for new and interesting languages just because they exist and the author might have figured out some new idea that solves a problem I have to deal with on a daily basis.
So, when I say Python, it's not without having considered other languages.  I don't say Python because Python is amazing at everything, I say Python because Python makes a good jumping off point to move to almost any other mainstream language, while also being designed to be as easy as basic.  The problem with BGT is that you avoid all the libraries that can make your life easy, and the problem with Purebasic is that it ignores very well-proven wisdom about language design in favor of "simplicity", for some definition that means that you can write small scripts easily but large projects take 10 times more effort to iron out the bugs.
You are assuming that someone else doing something means that it is a good idea.  If I write a game in assembly, that doesn't mean you'd go write a game in assembly, and just about anyone would laugh at you if you said it.  If I did that, what it actually s ays is that I'm an above average programmer, not that my tool is an above average tool.  Writing Swamp in VB6 says that Aprone knows VB6 and has enough resources, tools, and experience to write a game in VB6.  Not that VB6 is great for games.  If you made the mistake of using VB6 now, you'd be up the creek without a paddle when it becomes hard to install and no one can run them in about 5 years.  Writing DMNB and RTR in Purebasic says the same thing about the programmer, not the tool, though honestly in this case it is more pronounced than using VB6.  Every language has conditionals, but all the rest give you so many other tools that you could use too, and you just end up coding them anyway.  The prime example is inheritance; I'd be willing to bet that I can find custom implementations of inheritance in both RTR and DMNB.
But honestly, I give up.  Stick to your toys, I'll be over here in the workshop with the power tools, j oin me if you want.  You switching languages doesn't actually help me.  I have no actual interest in seeing you switch to something better save that it's better and would help you in the long run.  In fact, quite the opposite: if I ever did decide to bother making the pitifully tiny amount of money you can make off commercial audiogames, it's in my interest for you to have less powerful tools than I do, because then I can write them faster and of a higher quality than you can
Yes, this post is probably unwise; no, I really don't care at this point.  The state of this community is stupid and makes me outright angry.  I think BGt was probably the worst thing to happen.  I know Philip has his justifications, but just look at all the wasted potential.  Everyone moved into BGT, BGT stopped being maintained as far as I'm aware, everyone is now on a dead tool with absolutely no real future.  Around this time, everyone fl ails around for something similar, lands on Purebasic, and starts buying or pirating it.  But Purebasic doesn't really have a future, either.  And now we've got a divided community where both tools are niche.  And no one shares code anyway, because somehow it's all trade secret and we haven't heard of github.  Whatever development could have happened to negate the downsides therefore hasn't.  And yet no one but a few of us who stopped bothering trying to point it out can see it.  The programmers over on the mainstream tools start leaving because this forum can't generate conversation for  them.  And so the death spiral continues, and I'm some sort of modern and male version of Cassandra.
It is so, so tempting to go relicense Libaudioverse to say that it may not be used by BGT or Purebasic users.  This would maybe add enough weight to turn the spiral into a plummet, and maybe something actually reall y useful would arise from the ashes.  Unfortunately, I effectively can't, but if only I could.
But whatever, carry on.  You can hate me if you like.  I can't wait to see who first starts seeing the things I'm seeing and has to retract their viewpoints on this issue first, though.
yes, this is a rant.  It should have been clear halfway through, but for some reason when I rant people start debating if I'm ranting.  So just to clarify, it's a rant.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : dhruv via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : SoundMUD via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : danny via Audiogames-reflector