Re: Quick Windows Sequencer Questions

The Blasting GD, that does indeed sound like a time base issue, basically the synth starts out with a certain amount of buffer, and for some reason it's using it faster than it is getting it, so eventually it won't have enough and crackle as you describe. Unfortunately I have no clue how to fix this, since I don't have those problems myself, and when I do, they are so rare that I only need to restart occasionally.
The Imaginatrix,
The issue is that the synth probably doesn't support those additional sounds. The way midi programs and banks work, is say you're on the applause sound which is program 126, bank 0. Let's say you switch to applause 2, which is program 126 bank 768. If a sound set doesn't have a sound on that bank, it will instead use the bank 0 version since that is the closest it has. I'm not familiar with what arachno has so I can't comment on your specific situation without trying it myself. To sum up, the instrum ents in the list which make a difference will largely depend on which instruments the synth you're using actually supports.
Most synthesizers support the GM list fully, so in QWS you would assign them to the general  GM list, but that only gets you 128 melodic sounds and 1 drum kit. Some synths support the Roland GS standard which is like the general midi list with about 400 more melodic sounds and about 8 or 9 more drum kits. But the synth has to support that additional stuff for those instruments in the instrument list to do anything. If it doesn't, it will do what you are describing, and just play one sound through multiple instruments.
Also as K said, there is a drum kit on channel 10, program 56, and usually bank 0. It contains sound effects as well, one per key. I do have the sound font you're spoke of in your last post, and I would find it hard to believe that it doesn't at least have the basic sfx kit I just mentioned. Though it may not hav e the individual sound efffects that show up as separate entries in the list on the other channels. I haven't really checked it out to see what instruments it has.
And to Key:
My guess is that Coolsoft prioritizes sound fonts in a bottom up order like Bassmidi does. Basically if you want to use a high quality piano instead of the standard GM one with your normal font, the GM font you would put at the bottom of the list and the better piano sound you would put at the top. That would tell the synth to override the GM's piano with the custom one you put in. If that doesn't work, try reversing the order, the priority may go the other way. Also you have to make sure that whatever custom fonts you're putting in, that their programs line up with the GM standard. I.e. if you have a nice strings section but it put its sound on program 0 instead of the GM spec's program 48, then you'll run into trouble. This is one thing that annoys me about stacking fo nts in most midi synths, because you can't easily reassign those things.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : the blasting gd via Audiogames-reflector