shermoid Wrote:
> hi there,
>
> sorry for the late reply!  i haven't checked all the messages for a
> while, and just saw yours.
>
> i am using a fastora NAS-T4 device.  the manufacturer is fastora
> (http://www.fastora.com).  they make a NAS-T2 box, which holds 2
> drives, and a NAS-T8 which holds 8 drives.  all of them support RAID 0,
> 1, and 5.  thae T4 and T8 also support hot spare, but for audio you
> probably don't need that.
>
> i populated the NAS-T4 with 4 300G seagate drives (model st3300831art,
> parallel ata100, 7200rpm).  these drives are very quiet, and come with
> a 5 year warranty.
>
> i have been very pleased with the performance of the fastora device.  i
> can rip, encode and listen to music all at the same time, without
> missing a beat!  the nas box has 2 ethernet ports (1 10/100, and 1
> gigabyte ethernet failover).  i'm using the 10/100 port, which provides
> plenty of bandwidth.  i found the fastora box online for $917, and the
> drives online at $176 each.  if you're inetrested, just email me and
> i'll tell you where i got them from.  i don't want to do a shameless
> plug for anyone on these forums!  :-)
>
> for a network diagram, please see my webpage (listed in the signature
> below).  go to the "home built digital music server" section, and click
> on the link to the network diagram.
>
> hope this helps!  happy listening,
> -sherman

I have some thoughts on music storage.  I am ripping my collection to
FLAC at minimum compression, and it is clear that
about 1000 albums will fit on my 300GB ($150) hard drive.  You would
use even less space with more compression.  It is also clear that it
takes considerable time to do all that ripping and album art searching.
By the time you get through the first 1000 discs (groan) you will
probably be able to buy another 300 GB drive for about 75 cents or
thereabouts.  This sounds pretty economical.  I also can't figure why
you would want to break the bank with a RAID array.  I bought a 300GB
external hard drive ($200) for backup and keep it in a safe place.
Offsite is best.  This is cheap, fast and convenient.  When my internal
music drive goes toes-up, I can buy a new one (for 75 cents?) and reload
it in short order.  Can anyone shoot any holes in my theories?

--
rich spengel