Robin Bowes Wrote:
> m1abrams wrote:[color=blue]
>

> Several reasons why modding might be preferred:
>
> 1. Cost
> 2. convenience (no additional box involved)
> 3. quality - by all accounts the SB2 DAC is pretty damn good, even in
> stock format.

Given that I already *have* a DAC (MSB Link), the cost and convenience
points apply less to me, leaving sound quality as the major issue.
I've got a few questions:

1.  Is the linear power supply the preferred first step when using an
external DAC, or would the digital mod be more effective?  I've got an
old, trusty Pioneer DV525 DVD player as a transport, and the sound of
this into the Link is marginally better than that of the SB2 -- less
congestion in complex passages, more open soundstage and deeper and
more well-defined bass -- and I was somewhat surprised by this.

2.  Does Toslink vs. coaxial sound different/better on the SB2?

3.  In general, why would the SB2, with potentially better jitter
performance than that of my old Pioneer, sound slightly worse?

I'm thrilled with the SB2 and the convenience and access to my
collection it provides, but I was hoping not to have to make a sound
quality/convenience decision each time I turned on my hifi...

--
mbonsack