Patrick Dixon a écrit :
>>That would be enough, I guess! Are the improvements as obvious when you
>>only change the PSU?
> I didn't compare A to B quite as dilligently with just the PSU, but I
> feel that it's a relatively small improvement compared to the fully
> modified unit.  It tames the top end and makes listening less
> fatiguing, and some people seem to feel that it improves things
> significantly when you use an external DAC - but I haven't tried that.
>
> Incidentally, I don't know if you have the Foo Fighters' album 'In Your
> Honour', but it's a really good recording.

It's the last one, isn't it? I've not listen to it yet. Do you remember
their debut album? That was a piece of bad mastering, in my opinion.

>>However, I thing the SB2 is now the best
>>part of my system, so I need first to change the rest before modding
>>this tiny box.

> I don't know what the rest of your system is, but I'm a firm believer in
> the 'source first' principle.  It's always amazing how much better your
> speakers and amp sound when you feed them properly!  I don't know how
> handy you are, or what other sources you are using, but you could do
> worse than look at some of the gainclone amp designs that are about.
> The ones I built, were used with JBL Control 1 speakers and the SB2's
> digital volume control, and it all sounds pretty good for a total cost
> of about £350.

I was more on the other side, the loudspeaker first, but my experience
with the SB2 tends to make me wonder about my former beliefs. My system
is way from being audiophile. I've got:

- a pair of old Audio Reference loudspeakers (columns). They costed me
around 900 € 14 years ago (around £600). They are not so bad, but I tend
to raise the sound level to hear everything (less now with the SB2)...
- a CD changer from phillips (CDC 935), quite old and completely useless
now that I have the SB2, as the sound it produces is clearly far less
detailled than the one of the SB2.
- a sony AV receiver (GX900ES) 10 years old
- some entry level cables by real cable

I was thinking about switching to smaller loudspeakers (Quad 11L for
instance) and to get a nice AC receiver (Denon 3805 for instance), but
my musical experience has been renewed by the SB2 and while I'm still
convinced by the team I mentionned (I had the opportunity to listen to a
Denon 3805 + a pair of Quad 11 L and I thought the result was pleasing,
but I did't check the source), I'm now considering more options, such as
having a dedicated and basic AV system for some DVD (I watch maybe one a
week at most) and something much better for music (and also dedicatec)
rather than an all in one system.

Fabrice