hi sean

thanks for clarifying - I wrote to the author of the DAC design and
will have to wait for his answer for finding out what really happens
there.

so to summarize SB2 sends the following format (certainly a bit more
complex in real life):

MSB 0x00 - 0x0F 16 bit data
LSB 0x10 - 0x17 8 bit additional data (all bits 0 if source is only
16bit and volume is 100%)

now I think that the mere *sending* of the 8 zero LSB bits might
trouble my DAC - which is only a presumption up to now. the thing is
that the used DA chip is so low-end that it only accepts 44.1khz 16bit
data, and that the receiver on the DAC might happily decode the 24bit
data and sends it as-is (meaning with the 8 zeroed bits) over to the DA
chip, which in turn refuses to decode _anything_.

otherwise I have to tell I am very happy with the SB2!

regards
nicola

--
Nicola Fankhauser