fuzzyT Wrote:
> seanadams wrote:
> > That is a really low threshold.
>
> Is it possible that the new attenuation controls could lower the noise
> floor level enough to get around this?

Well this is fascinating - the short answer is yes we can probably make
it work.

Our noise floor in the audio band is down at -127 dBu.  However
delta-sigma DACs inherently generate impulses (high frequency content)
of some couple hundred microvolts even when fed a DC level - i.e. you
trade much higher performance in the audio band for some out-of-band
noise. Even for all-zeroes the DAC is actively working to hold the
output between two levels.

So what is tripping your amp is probably this component of the noise
floor. Looking at the rms level of noise floor it is about -60dBu when
the DAC is active. I tried setting the attentuation to -64dB (mute) but
this apparently does not actually disable the DAC, it's the same as
playing zeroes. Next I tried inhibiting the clocks completely, which
worked - it goes down to -90dBu, which is the same as the analyzer
measures with RCA cables not connected to anything. Next I tried
disabling the DAC by setting its reset bit. This worked too. So with
some smarts in the SB2 to shut off the DAC when appropriate we should
be able to do this.

http://www.seanadams.com/sb2_noise_floor.gif
http://www.seanadams.com/dac_disabled.gif

--