I would argue that the biggest benefit of FLAC is not that it sounds
better than mp3.  In fact for most people with most equipment in most
environments flac will not sound better than decently encoded mp3s.

However I rip ALL my music to FLAC.  Because I do not want to EVER rip
my music twice.  You will not suffer generation loss transcoding FLAC
to the codec du jour, however with mp3 and other lossy formats you
suffer generation loss when transcoding.

Also FLAC is a backup for my CDs, I actually have my CDs packed neatly
in a box that I have not opened in years.  I once had over 200 CDs
stolen (before I ripped them) and I lost alot of great music, some of
which not replaceable (small local bands).  That will not happen again.

--
m1abrams