I completely agree with what both Pat and Sean wrote.

So I have very little to add except that MP3-encoders can make a hugh
difference in the quality of your Mp3. Obviously settings within those
encoders can make a big difference as well.

If you are going the Mp3 route, I'd seriously consider ensuring that
you used LAME and a standard -preset when you encoded your tracks. LAME
has been very widely tested and the presets have equally been tested
many times.

The reason why older MP3s that you find (and somteimes newer ones as
well) sound terrible is because they were ripped improperly with poor
Mp3 codecs and poorly thoughtout settings.

-Very- few people can tell the difference between a properly encoded
Mp3 and a FLAC. You'll need a golden system AND golden ears. As Sean
pointed out, this can heavily depend on the source material. MP3
presets are optimized to be a general as possible but some types of
music will fall outside that optimal range.

Having said that, I have neither (a golden system nor golden ears) but
I use FLAC because a) hard disk space is very cheap right now. b) I
know i'll never need to re-rip all my CDs again if improved lossly
codecs come out. c) its nice to -know- that you aren't missing out on
any of that amazing sound.

ss.

--
street_samurai