On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 09:30 -0700, bjackson wrote:
> I would be suprised if you got any decent output out of the SB2 into a
> HD600/650 load which are 300 ohms.
>
> The standard headphone is 16-32-64 ohms, and the SB2 produces decent
> power into them, but I don't think it has the voltage needed to
> properly drive 600/650's, which are 10 x the impedance.

I'm pretty sure you have it backwards. A source produces voltage for the
signal, and the driven impedance determines how much current is
required. And the current times the impedance is the definition of
power.

A high impedance driver is easier to drive. It takes lots less power.

One volt driving 16 ohms will draw 1/16th of an amp of current.
The same one volt driving 300 ohms will draw 1/300th of an amp of
current. The definition of power is R*I*I
So one volt driving 16 ohms is 1/16th of a watt
And one volt driving 300 ohms is 1/300 of a watt.

It is low impedance speakers (and/or headphones) that are harder to
drive.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html