seanadams Wrote:
> It's an extension of the s/pdif spec. Basically it allows any kind on
> non-PCM data (including mp3, for example) to be sent over s/pdif by
> sending the compressed bitstream as bursts with some headers and zeroes
> in between to delimit them. In order to do this encoding, SB2 would need
> to do some parsing of the stream in order to determine the average
> bit-rate to be transmitted. I can't say this would be a high-priority
> project or that we'd be able to implement this in the near term.
> However it could be done on the server with a transcoding plugin if
> somebody wanted to write it.

Thanks for your reply Sean -- I appreciate you taking the time to
explain this.  And I do understand that firmware changes such as this
are not necessarily going to be useful to the majority of users, so
other items may take priority.

I'm willing to help if I can, but before I try delving into the server
code (I've not really used Perl in earnest so I'd be learning a
language and a problem domain at the same time) I'd like to try some
experiments.  If I could transform my DTS file into a binary data file
suitable for sending over an S/PDIF link, can I then configure the
server (through the 'types' or 'convert' config files?) to pass that
test file through?  Does that also need some plugin assistance?  I
presume from what you've said that if this was done in a plugin, there
would be no firmware changes needed.

I don't have an S/PDIF connection from my PC to a receiver, but I bet I
could convince some software player to generate an S/PDIF stream and
write it to a file.  After that (or instead of that), I reckon I could
dig around for a spec to perform the process myself.

I see that projects such as 'ac3iec958'
(http://www.theiling.de/downloads/idx.cgi/ac3iec958*?lang=en) exist to
do something similar for AC3.  I would naively have thought that the
process for DTS would be the same, again remembering that a DVD player
doesn't need to know how to parse a DTS stream... but perhaps DTS/DD
streams have a similar format (so a DTS stream's bitrate can still be
parsed by AC3-aware hardware), or perhaps a DVD player can just make
assumptions about the stream (this is more likely true, as a DVD-Video
DTS stream can only have a particular bitrate and frequency, I think).

So my first naive converter could start with similar assumptions to a
DVD player (sort of) and convert the bitstream without looking into it.
A more advanced converter would pull the bitrate from the header
instead (not too tricky -- it's just a few bits near the start which
index into a table).

I'll look into this some more later.  If you could point me in the
right direction, server config-wise, to streaming the padded file, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Steve

--