smst Wrote:
> My understanding is that, ordinarily when playing a WAV on the SB2, the
> PCM data is taken from inside the WAV and then encoded into a specially
> formatted stream to be spat out over the S/PDIF interface.  If I was to
> do that encoding work on the server, wouldn't I need to tell the SB2
> that the data is ready for spitting out?

Ah, I think I understand this better now.  There are two formats,
IEC60958 and IEC61937.  The latter could be considered to be at the
same level as PCM data (the sort of thing embedded in a WAV file), I
think; either IEC61937 or "normal audio" (according to what I've been
reading) can be sent over IEC60958.

So when I asked about the SB2 encoding data for S/PDIF transmission, I
think I was talking about encapsulation in an IEC60958 stream, which is
a valid thing to do for WAV audio data or IEC61937 data.  I was worried
that encapsulation would occur twice, but now I think that's not the
case.

Does that sound right?

--
smst