Patrick Dixon Wrote:
> It seems to me that anyone bringing SBs to a wider market is only
> benefiting Slim Devices and their products.  Every SB sold and modified
> is, after all, a SB sold by Slim Devices.
>
> Good though the SB2 is (and it is good), the 'audiophile' market will
> always demand something better.  It's a small and funny market and not
> one that SD is very well equipped to tackle (or many 'normal' people
> understand!).  Many 'audiophiles' like the SB's features and
> connectivity, and so having an audiophile version that fits into the
> main system in place of a CDP, allows them to use 'standard' SB2s in
> other areas of the home where listening is not so 'serious'.
>
> We are long past the days of Henry Ford's "any colour you like; so long
> as it's black" - no 'one' SB product will ever cover everybody's wishes,
> and I personally enjoy seeing and reading about the wacky ways people
> rehouse and customise their SBs.
Agreed 100%. I do however have one small concern - and that is that
non-audiophile people coming to the forum may see all the talk about
improving this or that and walk away with the impression that there's
something wrong with the original unit, and that they have to mod it to
make it sound decent. There needs to be a big disclaimer on audiophile
talk indicating that the stock SB2 is way better than anything most
people have ever heard.

--
radish