LavaJoe Wrote:
> This is a real mystery.  Something is obviously happening in the path
> that does not happen when one applies the same steps manually.  I am
> personally interested in this one because it is critical (affects audio
> quality) and also is just plain strange!
>
> In typical computerish fashion, I'm sure the answer will be obvious
> once discovered.  I'll continue to follow the thread with interest.
Agreed - there is more than likely a simply answer!

The only other thing I can think of which is strange is that when I
set-up my server in the first place, I followed the guide on the wiki
which tells you how to play different audio formats under Linux
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AAC). This states you should use
the "mov wav * *" entry in convert.conf. This has never worked for me (I
just get a load of digital static noise) which is why after searching
these forums I switched to using "mov aif * *".

I don't have a good enough understanding of how convert.conf works to
tell whether this change is relevent or not, but since I am using such
a standard linux system (Fedroa Core 4) I would have expected the
recommended default settings to work OK. Does this mean the wiki is
incorrect, or is there something else going wrong on my system which I
am working-around by using the "mov aif * *" option?

Nick.

--
slimnick