Since my earliest experiences with MP3, I tend to veer away from any
compression schemes.

However, I never thought that FLAC hurt the sound, nor did I say so. -
McIntosh wouldn't use it for their Music Server if it did. However, I
thought it primarily a benefit for those with VERY large music
collections, more than a few hundred CDs, and trying to keep the
collection on a single HDD.   With the cost per gigabyte of storage
keeps on getting lower, and lower,  I couldn't see any need to tie up
CPU resources and my time on an encoding scheme, when I have ample.

How often do FLAC users encounter errors with FLAC files? What's a
typical error rate?  1 out of 50?  1 out of 100?  1 out of 1000?   If I
was getting significant data corruption on my HDD,  I'd think I'd
encounter other serious and profound system errors besides just issues
with AIFF files.  In other words, incipient HDD failure.

And is there really a sound quality difference in generating AIFF files
with Itunes, vs.  EAC or other software?

--
Cleve

Two-channel system;

McIntosh MC2205 amplifier