seanadams Wrote:
> Modded or not, why do you believe this [high end external DAC to be
> better than SB3 analog out] is so?

A good high end DAC is going to have a few advantages over the SB3.
First and foremost, there is an opportunity to design a more
sophisticated analog output; even from just a materials quality
perspective, this is possible.  Beyond that, power supply quality,
physical isolation of circuits etc are things that a high end DAC can
offer that the SB3 cannot.

As far as the digital performance of the DAC, there is probably less
room for improvement...jitter and RF/EM protection are the main
culprits, and the SB3 has pretty good performance there.  However,
Burr-Brown does have different "quality classes" for their DAC chips
(eg. "K" series are sampled and tested to perform at the top 10% of a
manufacturing batch), and especially for 24-bit DAC chips, the accuracy
of the last 6-8 bits are often suspect in their accuracy.

This is not to say that the SB3 does not offer quality analog output,
but if Slim Devices asked its engineers to develop a high end DAC, I'm
pretty sure that they would be able to come up with something that
outperformed the SB3's analog output.

(disclaimer: I am not an engineer, but this post reflects some of the
discussions I've had with some high end digital engineers)...

--
PhilNYC

Sonic Spirits Inc.
http://www.sonicspirits.com