I beleive the reason electrical coax spdif is often said to be better
than optical toslink spdif is due to the relativly low bandwidth of the
toslink transmitter and receiver.  They were originally specced to have
enough bandwidth to support spdif data rates, however, the relativly
low bandwidth headroom can give rise to large amounts of jitter.  I
havn't checked how valid this is with current devices.

Saying spdif optical is better than spdif coax because high speed
telecoms uses optical makes as much sense as saying my 10 year old
renault is going to be better than your 10 year old honda because
renault won the F1 constructors title this year.

--
bludragon