I just purchased a brand new SB3, and a colleague subjected the digital
outputs to a quick jitter measurement using Audio Precision equipment.
Results:
SB3 digital coax out jitter: ~99ps
SB3 digital optical out jitter: ~892ps

My colleague's own SB1 is supposed to have digital optical out jitter
measured in the range of 1400ps.  Thus, we believe that SB2/3 digital
output is superior to SB1 based on lower jitter levels.

My colleague also managed to improve his SB1 optical out sound
"quality" by soldering an additional bypass cap directly across the
power & ground pins of the Toslink optical module.  He believed that
the cap is specified as a requirement for the Toslink optical module
design guide, but was not used by the SB1 design.

--
scan80269