On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 14:12 -0800, JohnnyLightOn wrote:
> pfarrell is wrong here and mauidan is right.  Jitter is not important to
> most consumers, but to audiophiles it is of central importance.

Could be, but I have not seen a credible definition of what jitter is,
how jitter is caused, what fixes it, or how jitter effects sound.

>   Low jitter means the difference between getting high-end sound and not.

Strong claim, what evidence do you have for it?

>  A lot of important information is subtly contained an audio signal,
> including the attack and decay of instruments, their timbre, the sense
> of space in the room if a live recording, and where each instrument is
> located in that space.

Agreed completely. All this stuff is exactly what high end audio is
about.

>  Jittery signals still give the basic music, but
> the subtle cues that bring it to life in a good system are seriously
> compromised.  Timing is of great importance in audio, and jitter is a
> timing problem.

What kind of timing problem is it? How important is it?

I agree that the high end folks talk about it alot,
and high end stuff claims to be better or perfect.
And the high end stuff easily separates audiophiles from
their money.

I'm open to being educated on it, but I'm not
convinced by this message or year of reading
the high end rags.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html