Mark Lanctot Wrote:
> I was using my DVD player to play CDs before.  It's just a Toshiba
> SD-1800.  But it's connected to my receiver by coaxial digital, so it's
> only acting as a transport.
>
> I find both an SB2 and an SB3 over optical digital sound much better
> when listening to the same CDs ripped in FLAC using EAC.  I mean the
> treble isn't as harsh and there's definitely more expansiveness using
> Dolby Pro-Logic IIx Music as a decoder.
>
> But how can this be?  Bits are bits, right?
>
> I know EAC would have a slight advantage, but most of the tracks ripped
> with no errors.
>
> Could it be that:
>
> 1.  The DVD player introduced more errors than just the minor ones EAC
> corrected?
>
> 2.  The DVD player has a worse S/PDIF interface than the SB does?
>
> 3.  The receiver's optical S/PDIF decoder is better than its coaxial
> one?
>
> 4.  The SB's jitter is lower?  This is almost surely true, but does
> jitter really make that much of a difference?  When I hear arguments
> about more jitter/less jitter I always thought these were the golden
> ears who were debating the audio equivalent of how many angels they
> could fit on the head of a pin. ;-)
>
> 5.  It's not a proper double-blind test, my mind is playing tricks with
> my ears.
>
> Or something else?
>
> BTW I don't buy the "optical cable is better than coaxial cable"
> argument or that "one digital cable sounds better than another", so
> please don't suggest those arguments or I'll have a hard time believing
> you.  :-)  In fact the coaxial cable retailed for 3X what the optical
> did (although I didn't pay retail for it), and the coaxial cable is a
> better name brand, so this can largely be discounted.
>
> At any rate, the SB2 and SB3 sound VERY good.

Probably a combination of 2 and 4. It could be number 5.

You might not believe that digital cables sound different, but they do.
In your case though, it is just a matter of swapping the two inputs and
test. If the DVD sound better now, it is one of two things. a) The
optical input is configured different from the  co-axial or b) the
cables do sound different.

Tom

--
tomsi42

SqueezeBox2, Rotel RC-1070/RB-1070, dynaBel Exact.