hualon Wrote:
> I run my Slim Server on one computer (Mac Mini) and I store all of my
> lossless files on my server on the same network (P3 500, 512MB RAM).
>
> If I attempt to stream the uncompressed files out to my SB1, I
> experience a weird network problem that I'm not sure how to pinpoint.
>
> The traffic flow works like this:
>
> 1.  Mac Mini receives data at 150KB/s or so but drops out down to zero
> every 30 seconds or so (the graph looks like a spiky mountain range).
>
> 2.  Mac Mini rebroadcasts the data out to the SB1 at a consistent
> 150KB/s or so.
>
> The effect is that there's an audio dropout when I play lossless files
> that coincides with the dropout in the receive rate on the Mac Mini.
>
> If instead I stream the same files from my server into iTunes directly,
> I have no trouble whatsoever so I'm therefore assuming that I have one
> of the following problems:
>
> 1.  Mac Mini network card is not very good at full duplex traffic.
>
> 2.  Slim Server has no way of pre-caching the files itself, so it
> depends entirely on the buffer in the SB1.
>
> Is anyone with a wired (or wireless) SB1 actually capable of streaming
> full size lossless files (FLAC or Apple Lossless) without audio
> dropouts?

I found it impossible to play a dropless wireless stream in iTunes on
my Mac. I experienced periodic dropouts very similar to what you are
describing. There is a HUGE thread on Apple's support pages regarding
dropouts with AirPort Express. I suspect all these problems are
related. Apparently Apple, wireless and music don't mix.

--
jonheal