DitherMan Wrote:
> All fine, except at low listening levels where the number of active bits
> in the DAC are reduced. Each bit corresponds to a level change of 6dB,
> so at a listening level of -48dB below maximum, your expensive 24 bit
> DAC is suddenly back to 16 bit because the 8 high order bits are never
> being used.
Quite correct. And so you are limited to a dynamic range of 96dB when
listening 48dB below peak levels.

But does it matter? Consider: even if by some miracle you have a
listening room with an ambient noise level of 0dBA, you still won't be
able to detect the quantisation noise unless your maximum listening
level is 144dBA, which I venture to suggest is a tad excessive.

--
cliveb