davehg Wrote:
> Of course, if the problem is traced to the SB3, not the modders work, an
> interesting dilemna, as Slim Devices may choose to void the warranty,
> even if the defect is not caused by the mod. Sean?

Once board-level mods have been made, we can not cover it under
warranty.  If it were something completely unrelated, say, a remote
control then maybe we could cover it, but as anyone who works with
electronics knows, it's quite easy to fry something off on the other
end of the board from where you're hacking. So please be careful, and
if you're buying modded units ask them to offer a warranty.

This isn't really a new issue wrt warranties in general. Sure if you
mod your muffler you won't void your stereo warranty, but for example
google "Saleen warranty" - Saleen covers pretty much everything after
they've modded the car. Ford doesn't cover much because a non-obvious
thing like a hose being pinched while doing some mod could damage your
a/c - not a system that Saleen actually meant to touch. I could name a
hundred similar things like that in Squeezebox - not that it's
particularly dangerous to mod one.

--
seanadams