I will have a go at disabling the output stage properly today and order
the caps.

I really appreciate the insights I got from this thread of yours.

I had been using a Meridian 568.2 as system preamp and to avoid the
external DAC too many boxes).  I had my eye on getting an Audio Aero
Prima DAC to replace the Meridian.  I have also tried several separate
DACs such as Northstar 24/192 (very average), Benchmark DAC1 (nice
sound but somehow missing something - mainly body), Lavry Blue (Very
nice).

Removing the Meridian and using the modded SB2 direct to the power amps
is better in many ways, and quite a surprise given my first impressions
of the analogue signal I got from my SB1.  I have had an SB2 for a
while now but had never listened to the analogue outputs.  Who would
believe a 200 dollar device could sound this immediate and musical?

--
Jenks