I can't tell the difference between high bitrate mp3 and FLAC.  Of course, my system is far from audiophile quality.  Maybe someday I'll have equipment which reveals the difference to me.  Maybe not.

Despite this, my entire CD collection (500+? 700+?  I don't even know anymore) is encoded in FLAC.  It has required multiple hard drives, and I'm using RAID 1, so I'm using double the drives I strictly speaking need.

Why?

First, the noise of the system is a nonissue -- it's not in a listening room.

Second, and this is the part I haven't seen you really address in your replies, FLAC ensures that I will never need to re-rip my CDs (unless catastrophe strikes and I lose the RAID system -- but I'm planning on adding periodic backups to my safety net as well).  If you encode with mp3, and later you need/want to use another lossy format, you'll either have to re-rip or suffer a generational loss of quality.  You (like I) may not be able to distinguish between high bitrate mp3 and FLAC, but after a generation or two of quality loss, you may begin to notice the difference.

My next project may involve keeping a parallel library in mp3 format, generated automatically from my FLAC library.  I can use the mp3s for players which don't speak FLAC.

Disk space is cheap.  The time it took me to rip all those CDs and verify the tags is not.  I don't really care how anyone else chooses to do this, but I do feel like anyone with a decent sized music collection must have a streak of masochism is they'd willingly leave themselves open to having to re-rip all of their CDs.  :)

On 2/22/06, pablolie <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

> All in good fun though. We're both here because music is
> important to us, but getting 'the best sound from your
> squeezebox' is not the most important thing in the world.

Agree with you on all counts.

As I have stated before: I am very likely to re-digitize those
recording that are important to me as FLACs in due time. First of all I
have to see how much storage space I have left after I have achieved my
primary objective, which is archiving my entire collection for
convenience while mantaining acceptable sound. The current sound level
and musicality of the set-up by far exceeds my original expectations,
so I am ecstatic about it. My goal wasn't and isn't to maintain
identical playback quality - I have been consistently clear about
that.

I can't recall telling ayone else what they should do when it comes to
setting up their system or digitizing their collection, because I am
not sure what their goals are.

Perhaps I could have gone out to see if I could utterly replace my CD
player. I am not even remotely close to that. My idiosynchrasies and
preferences are just mine, not asking anyone else to adopt them. On the
other hand, I think it's foolish for others to try to judge the results
I get without having experienced them first hand. That's called dogma.
And all I can say is I am not afflicted by it.

--
pablolie