Andrew L. Weekes Wrote:
> [image: http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1/D-A%20JITTER%20TOL.gif]
>
> The thing is this is just one spec the BM measures well on, who knows
> what the audible effect of the ASRC circuit is?

thanks for that link andrew. while the measurement is seemingly
impressive, it doesn't address the original question - is the Benchmark
completely immune to jitter at the SPDIF receiver? also, simple THD
measurements are rather useless - CD players have been measuring .001%
THD for decades now and the measurement reveals nothing really.
spectral distribution of IM and harmonic components, while not telling
the entire story either, provides much greater insight. unfortunately
the audio industry as a whole has been stuck with this THD sham (along
with so-called "frequency response") for eternity because it's easily
digestible by the consumer, and the marketing guys love it.

i would like to see an actual spectral distribution of jitter with two
different sources of varying jitter. it must be a "real-world"
measurement with an actual CD transport, not a test jig set to produce
varying amounts of jitter, because again it is the *quality* of jitter
we are looking for, not the quantity.

as for the audible effects of ASRC, yup, that is another question
altogether. i have never liked asynchronous upsampling - to me it
changes the timbre of instruments, at least the way it's implemented in
most players. the only one i've liked is the MSB Platinum DAC, perhaps
i'd like the Benchmark too... need to get it for a listen.

cliveb Wrote:

> Or alternatively consider the possibility that well-implemented digital
> technology already exceeded the limits of what's needed in a domestic
> playback environment many years ago

certainly not to my ears! :) but in this age of compressed music and
ipods, i think people are not aiming very high anymore. i also feel
that mp3s and headphones are the death of music and a bane to society,
but that's another rant. :p

regardless, if you cannot hear the differences, consider yourself very
lucky. :) being able to hear all these little changes is a curse
really. in the end, what counts is the music, and if you are able to
enjoy it that's all that matters. the pursuit of "ultimate fidelity"
and musical enjoyment *should* be convergent, but often it's not and
often audiophiles unduly sway one way or another. my argument here was
perhaps more of a philosophical nitpick - that just because a few blunt
measurements and your own ears indicate there is no difference, that
scientifically and absolutely none must exist. there will always be
other ears that may hear differently, with measurements that may or may
not back it up, and this is something we just have to be open to in the
world of hi-fi.

--
dorkus