Mike Anderson wrote:
> pfarrell Wrote:
>>One warning, any EQ that mortals can afford will
>>change the phase of the signal at some or many
>>frequencies.
>
> What would this sound like?

Depends a huge amount on what frequencies are effected
and by how much. Phase is time. Phase is how we humans
tell direction of sounds. The good news is that for
this application, killing standing waves, etc.
the majority of the sounds in question are low
frequency, typically 50Hz or lower. And for the most
part, since the wave lengths are 20 or more feet,
phase is irrelevant. Which is why true low
frequencies are not directional.

At the worst case, playing with phase is what
all the 70s stoner rock and roll (Moody Blues, ELP, etc.)
played with. They would zoom sounds around your head with
phase. This totally destroys 'imaging' and proper
placement of instruments in a sound stage.

At a lesser level, it can kill the spacial image
that you have of the music, destroy the illusion
that there are real instruments in real space before you.

Phase games are how small speakers or two speakers
throw the illusion of surround sound. It is most of what
the 'hall modes' of most AV receivers do.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html