tom permutt Wrote:
> Besides the good suggestions here, you will want to look at
> http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm which gives a pretty complete
> overview of your options.
>
> The one thing that surprises me a little in the discussion is the
> concern about recording levels.  This is a part of the ritual for those
> of us who have been recording since tape days, especially cassette, but
> it was because the dynamic range of the cassettes was at best
> comparable to that of the records, so you had to be careful to use all
> of it.  I think it might be vestigial with the much bigger range of CD
> recording.  I find that if I just use the same level with plenty of
> headroom for all discs, the noise from the records still swamps
> anything added in the transfer.
>
> For what it's worth, I use a Sony component CD recorder/player.  It has
> no hard drive and not much memory, so it records directly onto CDs in
> real time.  This may have been a cost-effective compromise a very few
> years ago, but it's kind of silly now.  It's very sensitive to
> vibration and even, it seems, to the brand of media; and when it fails,
> it does so in a frustrating way:  it usually doesn't give any indication
> of failure until you finish the track, which for me is a side of an LP.

I don't agree that CD has particularly good dynamic range. S/N ratio
and dynamic range are not the same thing. BTW, CD's low useful dynamic
range is probably the reason today's CDs are mastered with silly-high
levels. (The useful dynaic range is low because harmonic distortion is
very high for low level signals.)

--
P Floding