Having read this thread and become so tired of the constant reiteration
and the fact that all the info required exists elsewhere
(www.hydrogenaudio.org) and is easy to find if the trouble were taken,
I was tempted to say.. look, it's Microsoft. They want your money. The
guy who wrote Flac (Josh Coleson... Hi Josh!) doesn't (he just wants
something he can use that is truly lossless).
The bottom line is that they are both lossless and so the result is
(supposed to be) exactly the same. You can trust Josh. You can't f*****
trust Microsoft! They have changed the file somewhere... replay gain or
not.

But I admit I have a short fuse: This will do:
ezkcdude Wrote:
> FLAC is better because 1) it is not proprietary (not M$) 2) supports
> tags 3) it's cross-platform (not just Windows) and 4) decodes quickly
> and natively on SB3.
The tags bit should be enough really. Encode it to what you want (who
gives a s***) then think about something else. C'mon.
MC

--
ModelCitizen