Incidentally, I would like to clarify something:

I hardly believe all products should be subjected to double-blind
testing.  An obvious case is speakers.  Speakers are highly personal,
vary wildly in their appropriateness for different rooms, and, by gosh,
they even look different.  It is instructive, however, to have good
reviews that include measurements and comparisons.  These, in addition
to listening tests, can help us go in a preferred direction.  I love my
speakers and think they are marvelous; however, they certainly wouldn't
be everyone's cup of tea.  And, if I had to move into a smaller room,
they would be gone in a heartbeat.

Now, where I do think double-blind testing is of value are the areas of
electronics and more ephemeral objects like cables.  From power supplies
to amps to cables, we get gobs of reviews filled with enough elusive
adjectives to make a wine magazine blush.

And then there matter of marketing hype: amps with damping factors of
8000 having more bass impact than one with a factor of 400 (do the
math; there is not much of a difference, when you take the entire
system into account); minuscule (and irrelevant) distortion figures and
s/n, etc.  Okay, that's amplifiers.

But, when you move into the world of power cords, cables, tweaks
ranging from bybee silliness to mpingo disks to whatever, including
some good tweaks, cables, etc., you're now in a rarefied zone.  These
items are expensive.  They are highly touted by manufacturers, some
devoted users (Tice Clock, anyone?); they can be very expensive; and
the placebo effect is perhaps at its worst.  Why?  Because the system
has been built...and, without the need for more big boxes and such, the
user is now searching for that special thing that with take him or her
to audio nirvana.  This is a powerful force.  This is not made up.
Medical studies don't make this up.

So, what to do?  Have a more consumer-friendly magazine or group of
audiophiles and dealers try out the various competing power supplies
under these conditions.  Try out cables, power supplies, and other
tweaks under similar conditions.

I mean, I would really love to see this happen.  It would be fun,
instructive, and would shine brightly on those who participate,
whatever the outcome.  It would not shine highly on those that don't.
I think we can take it for granted, given the defensiveness, that "maui
mods" would slither off into the world of snake oil and secrecy.

--
highdudgeon

SB3, Lavry DA10, Sony DVP 555es, Bel Canto Pre2, Carver Sunfire, Rane
DEQ60L, Harbeth Monitor 40s, ACI Force subs