John Atkinson Wrote:
> Hi Kim, that's not actually what I wrote. In the newsletter piece -- see
> http://www.stereophile.com/images/newsletter/306Bstph.html -- I was
> auditioning the SB3's digital output into my Mark Levinson No.30.5 D/A.
> I will be writing about the sound quality of the SB3's analog outputs in
> the July issue of Stereophile.
>
> John Atkinson
> Editor, Stereophile

No offense to Mr. Atkinson, but should we really care what he wrote?
He didn't do a proper comparison (by proper I mean a comparison which
removes bias, such as a blind test), and he himself states that he was
"hard-pressed to hear much of a difference" between the SB as transport
and a $6000 CD player as transport.  Given the massive influence bias
has on human perception, and given the fact that Stereophile magazine
relies on advertising income from manufacturers of audio gear, I think
we have to begin with a presumption of strong bias towards expensive
gear on the part of their reviewers and editors.  As such, this review
is probably just about the best the lowly $300 SB could possibly hope
for.

It would really be nice to see blind testing instituted as part of the
reviewing process at such publications.  This doesn't at all preclude
the type of analysis they do now--after all, if a difference indeed
exists one still needs to characterize it and decide what sounds
best--but rather would compliment it and provide confidence in the
conclusions.

--
opaqueice