ianwi wrote:
> Since I can't find any great deals on ebay (like Genelec's or Mackie's
> :-), I'll probably get the Tapco S5's.
> Tapco S5's (~£230)

Tapco is Mackie's budget line extension.
They are generally well accepted. Not sure that
that they are really "audiophile" level.

The goals of pro-audio gear is different from audiophile gear.
The Audiophiles want it to sound great. The pro-audio folks
want the sound to be accurate.

> * They've had quite a few good reviews such as:
> http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/

Be wary about SoundonSound. I subscribe (pretty pricy here in
the US for a UK magazine,) and like the magazine, but
they rarely have anything but great things to say about products.

SoundOnSound is not like ConsumerReports, or even Car and Driver.
So take what they say with proper skepticism.

More importantly, only you can tell if speakers work for you.
Either hear them before you buy, or better, get an
agreement that you can return them for a full refund after
you try them in your room for a day or two.

As I've posted earlier, I really like the sound of my
Mackie 824 monitor speakers. even though they totally
flunk WAF.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html