opaqueice Wrote:
> I think this could be simulated easily with a WAV file editor - wouldn't
> that just be adding a constant level to every sample?  You would want to
> first rescale the levels with an overall multiplier to avoid clipping.
>
> However just because there's a DC offset, there isn't necessarily any
> significant asymmetry in the speaker response.  To first approximation
> the speaker cone is still a harmonic oscillator, just with a displaced
> zero point.  In fact if the DC offset did introduce significant
> non-linearities it would also mean significant distortion in music
> played at the corresponding levels _without_ the offset.  Therefore a
> good speaker is probably rather insensitive to reasonable DC offsets.

Good power amps either block DC at the input using a capacitor, or have
a DC servo (better) that removes any DC component of the signal.

Assuming that speakers are as good as you assume seems like one
assumption too far. The whole point was that it was a possible
explanation to hearing polarity reversal. And it was a good point too
-not to be dismissed.

--
P Floding