Sean - many thanks for taking the time to reply. I wonder if the
firmware 15 afficianado's were listening to the analogue output...

I also agree that a polarity setting (with album/track preference in
the database) might be useful. How can I vote for that enhancement
request? - it would be a USP (albeit to a very minority customer
sector!).

Whilst switching polarity on my TACT 2.2x, I noticed that as you have
to switch both channels separately there is always a moment when the
sound is out of phase until the second channel is switched. This is
very bad for comparisons, since the return to "in-phase" from "out of
phase" is such a relief that it is hard to compare polarity settings
with any confidence.

I've been doing so more exploratory research on polarity. First,
someone mentioned guitars, so I dug out one of mine where the polarity
of each pickup can be switched. The purpose of this is to create
alternate "out of phase" (sic) pickup combo settings. However, using
just one pickup I could detect absolutely no difference in sound - even
using heavy palm muting to create asymmetric transients of the sort that
might be polarity sensitive. Believe me, us guitarists are VERY
sensitive to any timbre/dynamics changes in our instruments. As an
aside, it was my guitars that finally convinced me that cables sounded
different...although there is a scale of diminishing return which I may
have exceeded on the hi-fi front :o)

Thinking this through further - it makes sense. There is no "absolute
phase" in an electric guitar - it's just nonsense. Which way (in or
out?) does the speaker cone move when the string goes up/down vs.
down/up? The very question is crazy...

So I've given up on electric (indeed any) guitar. Bass drum - yes, that
might make sense in isolation. Vocals - yes maybe there could be
something in that. After all, humans are very sensitive to the sound of
the human voice - it is "deep progamming". Garage doors slamming - could
be...

However, using the Alan Parsons test disc and also some very clean
Ladysmith Black Mambazo recordings, I stil can't hear polarity effects
on vocals.

Next I'm going to try some "vinyl drops" to see if I can hear anything
there - especially in the background noise.

It would still be interesting to get some views on preferred polarity
on a few widely available, popular recordings for reference purposes -
any takers out there?

--
Phil Leigh