Lyonesse Wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im thinking about buying an SB3 but wondered about the levels of jitter
> that may be introduced by the length of ethernet cable, 20 feet in my
> case.
>
> I intend to use my Belcanto dac2 into a Valve amp. Ive had fantastic
> results using my pc and foobar2000 with coaxial digital out from
> soundcard to dac. How far do you feel the sound will be compromised by
> using the lan?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jack.

The ethernet run has absolutely no potential of inducing jitter into
the SPDIF signal.  The data is sent via TCP/IP to the squeezebox.
TCP/IP data is conveyed perfectly due to the fact that corrupt data is
detected and resent (and the buffer in the Squeezebox allows for plenty
of time for any minor hiccups to be worked out).  It's only the lack of
error-correction and the time-dependent nature of SPDIF that makes it
susceptible to jitter issues.

--
azinck3