Lyonesse Wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im thinking about buying an SB3 but wondered about the levels of jitter
> that may be introduced by the length of ethernet cable, 20 feet in my
> case.
>
> I intend to use my Belcanto dac2 into a Valve amp. Ive had fantastic
> results using my pc and foobar2000 with coaxial digital out from
> soundcard to dac. How far do you feel the sound will be compromised by
> using the lan?
> Jack.

Most people use the wireless version of the SB so as to avoid the
inconvenience of running long ethernet cables everywhere.  For the same
reason as stated above, there is no jitter induced by this, and the
transmission is bit perfect due to TCP/IP error correction (unless your
network doesn't have enough bandwidth, in which case the sound will stop
or stutter - but it won't be a subtle effect like jitter).  Think of it
just as a way of copying the audio files stored on your computer over
to the SB - it has nothing directly to do with audio, and the copies
are perfect essentially always, just as any file copy over a computer
network is.

By the way, there will of course be some jitter induced during the
transmission from the SB to the DAC, but jitter at the SB digital out
has been measured and is very low (almost certainly much lower than the
jitter induced by a soundcard out going through 20 feet of digital audio
cable).

--
opaqueice