mauidan Wrote:
> I've never heard a $6K CDP in my system either.
>
> Once again, I was only interested in what experience you'd had with the
> "best" transport/DAC combos out there," to arrived at your guess.
> Nothing more.

I did own a $6kish system to compare to: a Pioneer Elite PDS-95
transport (retail $3k) using an MC2 cable ($300) with several
upgrades/tweaks ($300) feeding a MF Tri-Vista DAC ($2400), both using
Foundation Research LC-1 power conditioner AC cables ($800 ea) or
Cardas Golden Reference AC cables ($450 ea). You can read my
experiences and see my system at http://musicserver.blogspot.com.

I also have 2 SB3's, one stock, the other modifed (digital only Bolder
Mods, Bolder Deluxe PS).

I thought the stock SB3 was good but no match for the combo
transport/DAC. Frankly, it wasn't until I paired the modded SB3 using
the Bolder ps, feeding the Tri-Vista, and only then using the expensive
AC cables/conditioners, that the SB3 bested the transport/DAC. And while
this combo is great, there certainly are better (and much more
expensive) transport/DAC combos out there that would probably tip the
scales the other way. But for most audiophiles, these setups would be
beyond their price limits.

Since I was not willing to invest more than $6k into a stand alone CDP
or combo transport/DAC, and since the modded SB3 with tweaks and
goodies sounded better than what I had, for less, than the choice was
simple, even without resort to the convenience and features of a
computer based system.

All told, I poured (not including my existing DAC and cables) $2400
into replacing the transport with a dedicated music server. This
included the computer: MAC mini, 2 external HDD's, LCD Screen &
wireless mouse/keyboard ($1500 total); SB3 ($250), and bolder mods/ps
($650).

The best part: the computer music server can be repurposed when
eventually another unit comes along that sounds better than the current
setup, plus I gain convenience and ability to repurpose on my IPOD.

YMMV.

--
davehg