opaqueice wrote:
> OK, in case anyone cares, here's a (hopefully correct) explanation of
> how some components of jitter can be correlated with the frequency
> components of the analogue audio signal.

I for one would love a correct explaination about jitter and how it is a
problem. From what I can tell, it is mostly a 'problem' that is solved
by high priced audiophile products.

> [Snip]
> just like the sine wave, but its spectrum will be something complicated
> with lots of harmonic overtones and a huge peak at 44000 Hz (and
> probably 16*44000 too), because it's very far from a pure tone (it's
> something more like a square wave).

This is flat not true. It is not like a square wave, it is a square
wave. And there is no tone to it, you don't listen to the digital signal
you listen to the analog signal after it has been processed by the DAC.

Jitter, if it is a problem, is related to the edges of the square wave
not being at the right place in time, causing the signal to be
mis-interpreted.

> from remembering about beating frequencies.  So you now have lots of
> anharmonic frequency components (100 Hz, 900 Hz, 1100 Hz, etc) in there
> as well (and you'll still have a peak at 1 kHz, but probably smaller),
> and apparently that's the really nasty sounding part.

I see no grounding for this claim at all in this piece.

I don't know why you are using the "word" (if it is even a word)
anharmonic, when the signals you are describing are harmonics or beats.
They are present in any signal. Look up the phrases
"harmonic distortion" and "intermodulation distortion"

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html