pfarrell Wrote:

> This is flat not true. It is not like a square wave, it is a square
> wave. And there is no tone to it, you don't listen to the digital
> signal
> you listen to the analog signal after it has been processed by the
> DAC.

It is *not* a square wave, because not all the bits are the same, or
01010101..., or whatever.  It's square only in the sense that it has
two possible voltage levels (ideally).  Its spectrum (by which I mean
its Fourier transform) is not simply the spectrum of a simple square
wave (whose spectral composition is (1/n)sin(n), for n odd), but should
be closer to that than to the spectrum of a sine wave (which is simply a
spike at one frequency).  However, there will be a spike at 1 KHz in
this case, which was the point.

Nobody is suggesting you "listen" to this - perhaps you should go back
and read the discussion before this and see why the topic of the
spectrum of the digital signal is interesting.  It's because the jitter
spectrum can be correlated with the digital signal spectrum, and you
(might) hear the jitter spectrum after D->A.  There's an excellent
picture illustrating how this can happen in the the reference I gave a
few posts back.

> I see no grounding for this claim at all in this piece.
>
> I don't know why you are using the "word" (if it is even a word)
> anharmonic, when the signals you are describing are harmonics or
> beats.
> They are present in any signal. Look up the phrases
> "harmonic distortion" and "intermodulation distortion"

I'm not sure what claim you're referring to.  The point here is that
some of the frequencies present in this spectrum are unrelated to the
harmonic content of the original 1 kHz sine wave, for example the peak
at 100 Hz which is present in my example above.  By "anharmonic" (which
by the way is a commonly used term, in physics at least) I mean "not an
integer multiple of the dominant tone" in the music, 1 kHz in this
case.  These anharmonic frequency components arise for example from
beating between the original frequency in the music and the
quantization frequency (44100), and according to several authors are
what makes jitter so unpleasant to listen to.  Contrary to your
assertion, such effects would _not_ normally be present in an analogue
signal, because there is no such other frequency for the signal to beat
against.

--
opaqueice