Sibilance is easily avoided in the studio using good mics & mic
technique, sensible EQ and (where necessary) a suitable de-esser.

And I'd be a bit more circumspect Jack - there are some people on this
forum with a lot of professional audio experience.

As for digital cables affecting frequency response - absolute nonsense.
It's simply not possible, because the cable would have to change the
bits which they demonstrably DO NOT DO.
Cables can affect jitter which is a different problem. I'd love to know
what the "studio test" is...I'll try it in my studio - anyone like to
comment? In fact I did a test last year on this using my TACT gear to
do an in room plot using various cables (digital - coax (various) vs
toslink (various) and analogue.

I found that there was absolutely no change in the plot using different
digital cables (TACT to DAC), but there were very small differences
(tiny fractions of a dB here and there) using different cables between
DAC and pre-amp. I gave up in the end.

Sibilance is a particular type of "distortion" (to be more accurate,
it's an over-emphasis of certain sounds) on vocals and  has nothing to
do with mix levels per se - you can have really low-level sibilance.
It's quite rare to come across an album with noticeable sibilance these
days. Of course, it is possible to introduce "a sound like sibilance"
into the replay chain by boosting certain frequencies. Early (84-86)
low-end CDP's were notorious for this especially anything made by Sharp
(ugh).

I'll take the bait and ask one final time - please give an example of a
track (any track) that sounds excessively bright / "sibilant"

By the way what instrument do you play? - I'm guessing it's bass
guitar...

--
Phil Leigh